Pages

Wednesday 11 April 2012

I was woken up by the dawn chorus this morning. It was just about light but other than that I have no idea what time it was. I can only have had a few hours of sleep (I got home from the office at 10pm last night, sat down to do some more work at 11, then the next thing I knew it was 3am). The birds were so... loud! Unexpectedly so. From my attic bedroom with the windows shut it was loud enough to wake me. I lay there for a while trying to get back to sleep but it didn't happen. It felt like being woken by the dawn chorus when you're in a tent, except I was in my bedroom in central Leeds. Apart from the lack of sleep, I'm amazed that I can be in the centre of a huge city and still the birds can wake me up. Living opposite an allotment instead of yet more rows of red brick terraces is great. With my bed in the window, I can pull my curtains back while I'm still in bed in the morning and see the clouds, or the sun, or the field if I lean up. Once I was lucky enough to be greeted by a red kite soaring overhead. All within 3 miles of the city centre. It makes my wild heart happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment